JUVÉDERM® and Restylane®
Conveniently located to serve Wellesley, Newton, and Waltham
At DermWellesley, hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm and Restylane) are injected into the face to help minimize and reduce the appearance of lines and skin folds. They can also help to highlight certain facial features and contours. Patients frequently come in for injections of Juvederm and Restylane in Wellesley, MA.
In addition to the face, fillers can also be injected into the backs of the hands to help restore fullness. We will assess your trouble areas and cosmetic needs and will personalize your treatment accordingly.
Fillers “fill in” areas that have lost volume over time. Sadly, as we age, we tend to lose volume where we want it and gain volume where we don’t want it. This leads to sagging or drooping and the creation of more prominent folds on the face (and more aged appearing hands). The aging process is due to both internal mechanisms (genetics) and external forces (sun, smoking, etc.).
Which Areas Can Be Treated?
Common areas treated include:
- Cheeks (to restore the youthful apple and lift the lower face)
- Under eyes
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines (to help with jowls)
- Around the mouth (to literally turn your frown upside down)
- Backs of hands
The Benefits of Juvederm and Restylane
Restylane fillers (Lyft, Defyne, Refyne, Silk) and Juvederm fillers (Ultra, Ultra Plus, Voluma, Vollure and Volbella) are made of an injectable hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is a molecule that is actually naturally occurring in the body and can be found in the cartilage and skin tissue. Because of this, allergic reactions to filler are rare.
HA based fillers are often used for improving smile lines, improving facial structure, lifting, contouring, improving cheek depressions, and as lip fillers to add fullness to the lips. The best filler for your specific case will depend on the area(s) that needs to be treated.
Questions and Answers
How long can I expect my filler to last?
Every patient is different but typically most HA fillers last 6 to 12 months. Voluma lasts up to two years, which is why it is more expensive than the other fillers. Different areas of the face may require retreatment sooner than others depending on sleeping habits, facial mobility, and gravity.
When will I notice results from my treatment?
Immediate results are usually noted following treatment. However, mild swelling, redness, and occasionally bruising can occur and may take 48 hours or more to resolve. Therefore, we ask patients to allow 1-2 weeks for true results to become apparent.
Twenty-four hours after treatment, makeup may be applied, as needed, to cover any redness or bruising. If after at least two weeks, any changes to the the treated areas are desired, patients may return for assessment and possible additional treatment.
Is there recovery or downtime required after treatment?
No recovery or downtime is needed after injections of Juvederm or Restylane. Patients typically immediately return to their daily schedule.
Are filler injections painful?
Dr. Wise has expertise in a particular filler injection technique that utilizes a blunt tipped needle (a cannula) rather than a sharp needle. This technique requires very few small needle sticks and is more comfortable with less bruising than the older techniques that required multiple, serial needle sticks.
A cannula will be used whenever possible to optimize results and minimize downtime. If needed, a topical numbing cream can be applied prior to the procedure and ice packs are also always provided.
What are the risks associated with fillers?
- Mild swelling, tenderness and/or redness, usually resolves within 1-4 days.
- Temporary bruising at injection site (the risk of bruising is can be reduced by avoiding aspirin or ibuprofen within 1 week, and/or alcohol within 48 hours, of treatment).
- Small, firm bumps may be felt under the skin in treated areas. These bumps are generally not visible and usually smooth out over time. If the bumps are visible or do not resolve, a medication called hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve filler bumps.
- Rare side effects include: prolonged swelling, redness, itching, firmness or bluish bumps may last weeks or longer. Dizziness, headache, rash, visual disturbances, infection, or reactivation of cold sores.
- Extremely rare side effects include compression/occlusion of blood vessels leading to formation of a scab which can result in a scar. Exceedingly rare cases of blindness have also been reported and is a risk.
Am I a suitable candidate for filler injections?
You must not be treated with filler injections if:
- You are pregnant or nursing
- You have severe and/or multiple allergies or history of anaphylaxis
- You have had a previous allergic or severe swelling reaction with any HA filler
- You have a bleeding disorder and/or you are taking a blood thinner (e.g. Coumadin (Warfarin) or aspirin
How much do Juvederm and Restylane cost?
The exact price of these injectables will depend on a number of factors. Cost determinants can include the dermatologist’s office you choose for your treatment, the number of injections required, and the number of treatment sessions required.
Arranging Your Consultation
To learn more about Juvederm and Restylane in Wellesley, MA, schedule a consultation by contacting out office. Pricing available upon request.